Applications are invited from suitably qualified candidates to fill the following vacant position within the Land Titles Division, National Land Agency.
Title Investigator – West Region – Level 5
The successful candidate will report to the Legal Officer 2
To prepare draft memoranda for entry on the Certificate of Title to ensure that all necessary data is included to clearly identify the dealing and to examine and investigate instruments.
Assessment and Pre-checking of Documents
- Receives all instruments and documents submitted to the Land Titles Division for registration
- Examines instruments and documents submitted for registration for general acceptability under the law
- Ensures that instruments processed are in accordance with the Registration of Titles Act and Registration (Strata Titles) Act
- Examines instruments and documents to classify the type of application for purpose of assessing fees payable and note fees on documents
- Provisionally approves instruments for signing by the Legal Officer
- Affixes unique sequential registration code on each instrument and document and maintains log of codes used
- Advises members of the public on matters concerning fees payable on Memorandum transactions
- Requisitions and receives Certificates of Title and title documents from the Records Unit
- Ensures that required documents have been submitted to cashier and that cashier endorsements are affixed to documents.
Preparation of Draft:
- Examines instruments and attachments to verify that:
- Instruments are in appropriate form to effect the proposed dealing
- Instruments bear appropriate transfer tax and stamp duty and is not liable to penalty
- Instruments are compliant with statutory and procedural requirements
- Legal and other related procedural requirements are met
- Appropriate fees have been paid; and,
- Notes any deficiency detected in the documents.
- Prepares draft memoranda for documents that meet all requirements for engrossing on Certificates of Title to effect registration of intended dealings
- Examines and indexes Power of Attorney data
- Ensures that information entered on the Land Registration System conforms to instruments submitted for registration
- Ensures that relevant information regarding parties to transaction and property information are entered/updated on the Land Registration System
- Completes Caveats and Power of Attorney checks for Certificates of Title
- Ensures that there is no Caveat, Court Order or notification on the Register which may have some bearing on the proprietor’s right to deal with the estate
- Preliminarily approves documents for registration if documents are in order.
- Prepares requisition for rejected documents detailing any insufficiencies detected on Examination.
- Consults with Legal Officer for direction in handling complex documents and in respect of matters beyond your scope of knowledge.
- Types the details of the rejected document, prints name, then signs and submits documents and “Return Report” to the Dispatch Section for collection by the customer.
- Submits approved documents to Legal Officers for signing.
The post-holder should be able to demonstrate:
- Excellent Interpersonal Skills
- Good time management skills and the ability to work well under pressure
- Good planning and organizing skills
- Ability to work well in a team environment
- Good oral and written communication skills
- Excellent proof reading skill
- Excellent keyboarding skills
- Knowledge of the principles and practices of land registration and good knowledge of the Registration of Titles Act.
- Knowledge of mode of assessment under the Stamp Duty Act and Transfer Act
- Knowledge of the relevant statutory provisions which have a bearing on the registration of land dealings
- Sound work ethics
- Confidentiality in the conduct of duties
- Competence in the use of relevant computer software
Minimum Required Qualifications and Experience
- Five CXC/GCE O ‘level subjects including English Language and a numeric subject
- Paralegal Diploma
- One (1) year related working experience
- Certificate in basic computer training would be an asset
- Salary Range: $1,203,260 - $1,312,744 p.a.
A letter of Application accompanied by a Resume’ should be submitted no later than September 30, 2019 to:
The Director, Human Resource Management & Development
National Land Agency
8 Ardenne Road
We appreciate all responses but only short-listed applicants will be contacted.